Sunday, September 28, 2008

Joaninha

ladybug - joaninha (portuguese)
Photobucket

during the middle ages, in europe, the farmers' crops were being destryoed by insects. they prayed for the virgin mary to help them, shortly after lady bugs came eating away the bugs and saving the crops. the farmers then began to call these bugs "beetles of our lady", which eventually became "lady beetles". the red winds are said to represent mary's cloak, and their spots represent her joys and her sorrows.

after my va passed away i remembered how when i was little she'd have me hold lady bugs in my hand and make a wish when they flew away. she had a figurine of the virgin mary on her dresser that had been there for as long as i can remember. the crown was gold and i liked to turn it around and around. now it's in my room on my desk. the other night i noticed a lady bug nestled in her hands.

1 comment:

anselblue design studio said...

I like the photo and story. Great job, kiddo. :)

I tagged you, btw...

http://anselbluedesignstudio.blogspot.com/2008/10/busy-busy-jewelry-and-being-tagged_19.html